NOTE: This page contains Amazon.com affiliate links that compensate the owner of this site - but they do not impact the price you pay. Learn More.
Looking for insurance or a protection plan for bar appliances?
You’ve come to the right place.
Why Should You Buy Appliance Insurance?
Bar appliances are not cheap. Things like ice makers, margarita machines, ice crushers, and beverage coolers are pricey.
Most of these appliances cost hundreds of dollars.
Commercial-grade bar appliances for businesses are even pricier, with many costing thousands of dollars.
Getting an insurance or protection plan protects your investment in case of damage to your appliance, or a malfunction. Most protection plans will cover the cost of repairs or a complete replacement.
Compared with the cost of replacing the appliance or buying and installing an expensive part like a motor or compressor, most insurance and protection plans are inexpensive.
Doesn’t My Home Insurance Cover Bar Appliances?
If you check the fine print of most home insurance plans, they typically don’t cover many of the appliances you are likely to have in your bars such as a blender, margarita maker or ice crusher.
Most home appliances only cover major appliances such as dishwashers, washing machines, refrigerators, and microwaves.
The only bar-related appliance usually covered is an undercounter / installed ice maker.
In fact, some home insurance plans such as those offered by American Home Shield (AHS), specifically mention they do not cover specific appliances like a wine cooler.
Check your home insurance plan or call your insurance company’s customer support line to be sure. Generally, however, you’ll find you need to take out insurance specifically for those appliances.
What’s In This Buying Guide?
- Why Should You Buy Appliance Insurance?
- Doesn’t My Home Insurance Cover Bar Appliances?
- What’s In This Buying Guide?
- Best Appliance Insurance and Protection Plans 2022
- 1. Best Amazon Protection Plan: Asurion Kitchen Protection Plan
- 2. Best 5-year Amazon Protection Plan: Assurant 5-Year Appliance Protection Plan
- 3. Best Protection Plan for Non-Amazon Appliances: SquareTrade 3 or 5 Year Appliance Protection Plan
- 4. Best for Commercial Bar Appliances: Securranty Extended Warranty for Commercial & Restaurant Appliances
- 5. Best General Bar & Restaurant Insurance: NEXT Restaurant, Food and Bar Insurance
- Appliance Insurance Buying Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Verdict: What Is The Best Appliance Insurance Sold Today?
In this buying guide, we compare the best insurance plans for bar appliances. Our top picks include service plans and insurance plans for commercial bars as well as insurance for common home appliances.
We also include several appliance protection plans available on Amazon. These are valid only for appliances you buy on Amazon.
Don’t forget to check the terms and conditions for each insurance plan before you pay for it.
Check our guide after the reviews where we explain what most appliance insurances protect against, and how to choose the best plan for your bar appliances.
Best Appliance Insurance and Protection Plans 2022
- Best Amazon Protection Plan: Asurion 3-Year Kitchen Protection Plan
- Best 5-year Amazon Protection Plan: Assurant 5-Year Appliance Protection Plan
- Best Protection Plan for Non-Amazon Appliances: SquareTrade 3 or 5 Year Appliance Protection Plan
- Best for Commercial Bar Appliances: Securranty Extended Warranty for Commercial & Restaurant Appliances
- Best General Bar & Restaurant Insurance: NEXT Restaurant, Food and Bar Insurance
Link Goes to Amazon.com
|Best Amazon protection plan||3 or 4 yrs|| $0 to $9,999||One-time payment||Amazon appliances purchased in the last 30 days|
Link Goes to Amazon.com
|Best 5-year Amazon protection plan||5 yrs|| $0 to $4,999||One-time payment||Amazon appliances purchased in the last 30 days|
|SquareTrade||Best for non-Amazon appliances||3 or 5 yrs|| $0 to $2,999||One-time payment||Appliances purchased in any store in the last 30 days|
|Securranty||Best for commercial bar appliances||3 or 5 yrs|| $1 to $3,500||One-time payment||Appliances purchased in any store in the last 30 days|
|NEXT||Best general business insurance||Annual|| Custom||Premiums||Small bars & restaurants|
1. Best Amazon Protection Plan: Asurion Kitchen Protection Plan
If you are planning to buy your bar appliances from Amazon (or have bought an appliance in the last 30 days), we recommend the Asurion kitchen protection plan.
There are dozens of 3 and 4-year protection plans to choose from based on the cost of your appliance.
- Wide range of plans to choose from.
- No additional charges.
- Easy online claims process.
- Covers a wide range of kitchen products.
- Doesn’t cover loss or theft.
- Coverage starts after the manufacturer’s warranty.
Asurion’s kitchen protection plan is exclusively for products purchased from Amazon in the last 30 days. Since most home bar appliances such as ice crushers, blenders, and beverage coolers fall under kitchen products, they are covered under this plan.
If you are not sure a particular appliance is covered, contact Asurion for guidance. They’ll guide you towards the right plan for your appliance.
You can choose a 3 year or 4-year warranty. But coverage starts only after the manufacturer’s warranty has expired. So if your appliance has a 1-year warranty, the 3-year plan is essentially a 2-year plan.
The Asurion protection plan covers electrical and mechanical malfunctions, as well as failures resulting from wear and tear.
Asurion covers products as cheap as $20 or less, and they offer coverage for appliances up to $9,999. Select the plan that covers the price of your appliance.
Note that, unlike traditional insurance plans, Asurion’s protection plan applies on just a single appliance. So if you have multiple bar appliances, you’ll need to buy a separate protection plan for each.
Luckily, you pay a one-time fee. So it’s still affordable to buy plans for several appliances.
By the way, Asurion covers both new and certified refurbished appliances.
What we like most about Asurion is how easy they make it to make a claim. You can make a claim 24/7 by phone or online, and it’ll be processed within minutes.
If your claim is approved, they’ll have the appliance repaired. If that’s not possible, they’ll replace it or send you an Amazon gift card for the purchase price of the product.
Issues & Complaints
The Asurion protection plan only covers appliance malfunction or failure. You’ll not be compensated in case of loss or theft.
Another thing to note is that the actual length of the protection plan is the period after your manufacturer’s warranty expires. If you have an exceptionally good blender with a 3 year, 5 year or longer warranty, you don’t need the protection plan since it won’t cover the appliance anyway.
If you buy most of your bar appliances on Amazon or plan to, the Asurion kitchen protection plan is the best insurance. It’s painless to apply for it, and make claims.
2. Best 5-year Amazon Protection Plan: Assurant 5-Year Appliance Protection Plan
Asurion doesn’t offer a 5-year protection plan. If you want longer insurance than Asurion’s 3 or 4 years, we recommend Assurant’s Amazon appliance protection plan.
Their most popular plan covers appliances costing $200 to $249, but you can choose another range from their main Amazon page. They cover product prices ranging from $0 to $4,999.
- No deductibles and hidden fees.
- Easy application and claims process.
- Wide range of price ranges.
- Long protection period.
- They take a long time to send emails for paperwork.
- Doesn’t cover loss and theft.
Assurant’s protection plan works pretty much the same way as Asurion’s. It covers an appliance purchased on Amazon in the last 30 days.
In case you return the product within 30 days, you can cancel the protection plan for a full refund.
Assurant’s protection plan kicks in after the manufacturer’s warranty. Keep that in mind if the appliance you bought or are planning to buy has an extra-long warranty. You may not need the Assurant protection plan.
Once the protection plan is active, it covers mechanical and electrical malfunctions, appliance failures, and damage caused by a power surge.
They’ll even compensate you up to $100 for any food loss in a refrigerator or freezer due to a malfunction.
Assurant covers all costs related to repair, including parts and labor. There are no deductibles or any additional costs.
If repair is not possible, they’ll replace the appliance or send you an Amazon gift card for the price of the product.
You can make a claim at any time online at assurant360claims.com.
Issues & Complaints
Similar to Asurion, Assurant’s protection plan doesn’t cover loss or theft. If you are worried about theft, check if your home insurance plan covers it.
One complaint from many customers is that Assurant takes a long time before sending the email containing the terms and conditions of your plan. They say the email will arrive within 24 hours, but many customers had to call to receive theirs.
Tip: Before you call, check your email spam folder.
Assurant’s 5-year appliance protection plan is a great choice for those who want longer insurance coverage for their bar appliances.
3. Best Protection Plan for Non-Amazon Appliances: SquareTrade 3 or 5 Year Appliance Protection PlanSee Protection Plan on squaretrade.com
If you’ve bought or plan to buy bar appliances from a physical store, or another site other than Amazon, SquareTrade offers the best appliance protection plan.
They cover all appliances, regardless of where you bought it. Just make sure you keep your receipt.
Note: SquareTrade is an Allstate company.
- Coverage of all appliances, from any store.
- Wide range of price brackets.
- Options between a 3 and 5-year plan.
- No deductibles.
- Fast on-site service.
- Limited to products purchased in the last 30 days.
SquareTrade lets you buy a protection plan for any appliance, no matter where you purchase it. As long as you have the receipt, they’ll cover it (keep your receipt safe in case you need to make a claim).
You can select a 3-year or 5-year protection plan. Covered product price ranges start from $0 – $199 all the way to $2,000 – $2,999.
Coverage includes electrical and mechanical malfunctions, as well as appliance failure. Loss, theft, and accidents are not covered.
Similar to Amazon protection plans, SquareTrade’s plan begins in full once your manufacturer’s warranty expires. However, during the warranty period, they can still compensate you for anything the manufacturer’s warranty does not cover.
Application is super easy on their official website. Making a claim is also easy. Just go to squaretrade.com/claim.
Once your claim is approved, SquareTrade arranges an in-home visit to assess and repair your appliance. If they cannot repair it, they’ll replace it or reimburse you the cost of the appliance.
Issues & Complaints
Compared to Amazon protection plans like Assurant and Asurion, SquareTrade plans are expensive. On the upside, you are not forced to buy products from just Amazon.
They also provide fast on-site service. Also, keep in mind that it is a one-time fee.
But we wish they covered old appliances. They restrict coverage only to appliances bought in the last 30 days.
Though pricey, SquareTrade’s appliance protection plan is the best if you bought or plan to buy bar appliances from a store other than Amazon.
SquareTrade is also great if you want the convenience of fast on-site service, rather than having to ship your appliance in for repairs.
4. Best for Commercial Bar Appliances: Securranty Extended Warranty for Commercial & Restaurant AppliancesSee Warranty on securranty.com
All of the above insurance and protection plans are for appliances used at home only. If you are buying an appliance for a commercial bar, you need commercial insurance.
The best one we found is the Security Extended Warranty for Commercial & Restaurant Appliances. It covers major bar and restaurant appliances such as ice makers, fridges and freezers, beverage coolers, and others.
- Wide range of price ranges.
- Easy to apply online.
- 3 and 5-year coverage options.
- Easy online claim filing.
- Quick repair upon claim approval.
- They only cover appliances up to $3,500.
- Doesn’t cover old appliances.
The Security extended warranty works a lot like protection plans for residential appliances. Even the application process is similar.
You select the price range your appliance falls in (prices range from $1 to $3,500), and then select your preferred period of coverage (3 or 5 years). The form then calculates your one-time payment.
Currently, Security only covers brand new appliances that have been purchased in the last 30 days. It doesn’t matter where you purchased the appliance from, as long as you have your receipt.
One thing we like about Security is that they still cover you even during the manufacturer warranty period.
They’ll help you file a claim with the manufacturer. And if the manufacturer refuses to honor their warranty, Security will step in and pay for any repairs or replacements.
For the period of the extended warranty, Securranty covers any electrical and mechanical malfunctions as well as appliance failures that are not a result of intentional damage or negligence.
Filing a claim is easy on Securranty’s official website. Once your claim is approved, repair or replacement of the appliance is done promptly.
Issues & Complaints
Similar to home appliance protection plans, Securranty only covers new appliances bought in the last 30 days. If you have any old appliances in your bar, they are not eligible for the protection plan.
Another issue with Security is that their top price limit is a bit low, considering it’s a commercial extended warranty. They cover appliances only up to $3,500. A higher limit like $10,000 would be better.
The Security extended warranty is a great choice if you are looking for an affordable and hassle-free protection plan for your new commercial bar appliances.
5. Best General Bar & Restaurant Insurance: NEXT Restaurant, Food and Bar InsuranceSee Insurance on nextinsurance.com
If you need general business insurance that covers a wide range of things, including your bar appliances, inventory, and employee liability, we recommend NEXT.
NEXT is an innovative insurer that provides affordable and highly customized insurance for small businesses. They provide a custom insurance plan that ensures you only pay for the coverage you need.
- Highly customized insurance coverage.
- Covers a wide range of things.
- Easy application and claims online.
- Cheaper than most business insurance plans.
- Pricier than one-off appliance protection plans.
Unlike the other protection plans, this is traditional business insurance. Visit the NEXT website or contact customer support to get a quote for your bar.
Your quote will depend on what you want to be covered. NEXT covers various things including business equipment, employee liability, loss or damage to inventory, and so on.
Though it’s like traditional insurance, NEXT is very different from legacy insurers. Instead of a generic business insurance quote, they create a plan that’s highly customized for your needs. Thus, you pay only for the coverage you need.
The result is a business insurance plan that costs significantly less than average.
Application is easy and fast, and making claims is similarly hassle-free.
Issues & Complaints
Because this is a traditional insurance plan, you’ll pay regular premiums rather than a one-off fee. So it’s more expensive than appliance protection plans.
The upside is that you don’t have to take out a plan for each appliance. One insurance plan covers everything.
NEXT insurance is a great choice if you want a traditional insurance plan that covers a wide range of things in your bar.
Appliance Insurance Buying Guide
What is Appliance Insurance, and How Does it Work?
Appliance insurance refers to any insurance plan, protection plan, or extended warranty that covers various appliances.
Appliance insurance provides additional protection in addition to the manufacturer’s warranty. Even when the manufacturer’s warranty expires, your appliance will still be covered.
Different kinds of appliance insurance work in different ways.
Protection plans typically involve a one-time fee. You pay a certain amount depending on the price of your appliance.
Protection plans typically last for 2 to 5 years and fully kick in after the expiry of the manufacturer’s warranty.
Extended warranties work the same way as protection plans.
Traditional insurance plans usually involve monthly premiums instead of a one-off payment. But it’s hard to find an appliance-only insurance plan.
Appliance coverage is usually bundled in other insurance plans such as home insurance or business insurance.
What to Look For in Appliance Insurance?
- Trustworthiness: Make sure you are dealing with a trustworthy insurer. Check if they have any accreditations (such as BBB), and check customer reviews. Focus particularly on how well and efficiently they handle claims.
- Cost: What’s your budget? Protection plans are usually the most affordable since they involve a one-time payment. But it can get pricey if you have multiple appliances you want to insure.
- Length of coverage: Most plans cover an appliance for 2-5 years. A longer plan will protect your appliance for longer, but it’ll also cost more.
Keep in mind that most plans start after the manufacturer’s warranty. So if your appliance has a long warranty like 5 years, you probably don’t need any kind of insurance.
- What’s covered: Check the terms and conditions of the plan, so you are not surprised later when the insurer refuses to approve a claim.
Most plans cover electrical and mechanical malfunctions, plus appliance failures. Any intentional, accidental, or negligent damage is usually not covered. Theft and loss are also typically not covered.
- Ease of application & claims: In this day and age, you shouldn’t have to jump through hoops or fill out a ton of paperwork to get insurance.
Look for a protection plan that allows easy and quick application online. Even more importantly, it should be easy to make a claim online.
- Fast claim processing and appliance servicing: Beyond an easy claims process, make sure the insurer approves claims quickly (within minutes or hours). Upon approval, they should service or replace the appliance quickly. We recommend insurers that provide fast on-site or in-home servicing.
Pros & Cons
- Covers you from the high repair or replacement costs in case of appliance malfunction or failure.
- It’s usually cheap, especially if you get a protection plan with a one-time fee.
- Most insurers provide an easy online application and claims process.
- Peace of mind.
- Appliance insurance typically doesn’t cover old appliances – only brand new ones bought in the last 30 days.
- Usually starts after the manufacturer’s warranty.
- Can be expensive to cover multiple appliances, since you need to get a protection plan for each.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does home insurance cover bar appliances?
Most home insurance plans only cover major appliances such as the washer and dryer, dishwasher, and refrigerator. Beverage coolers, blenders, and ice crushers are usually not covered by home insurance.
But check your home insurance plan to be sure.
Is appliance insurance worth buying?
When you are buying a pricey appliance, then it’s worth it. Generally, we recommend insurance for any appliance costing over $200.
Because a 3-year or 5-year protection plan is often cheap (sometimes as cheap as ten bucks), it’s worth it.
Do I need appliance insurance if I have the manufacturer’s warranty?
It depends on the length of the warranty. Most appliances have a 1-year warranty, so it’s worth getting a 2-5 year protection plan.
But if your appliance has a long warranty, it’s probably adequate and you don’t need an additional protection plan.
Final Verdict: What Is The Best Appliance Insurance Sold Today?
For bar appliances that you’ve bought on Amazon, Asurion’s appliance protection plan is the best insurance. For appliances bought on other sites, go with SquareTrade. Security is the best for commercial bar appliances and NEXT is the best general insurance for bars.